Global A Go-Go presents:
July 11 is the 71st birthday of the late John Holt (pictured above in a painting by Oliver Martin), one of my favorite reggae singers. We’ll celebrate with five selections from the man who was the prototype for lovers rock.
And July 11 is also the 37th birthday of Richmond’s Plan 9 Records. We’ll celebrate that one by giving away a $37 Plan 9 gift certificate during Global A Go-Go to a caller who can correctly answer any one of these Plan 9 trivia questions (answers added after the contest ended; congratulations to our winner, David):
- How did Plan 9 Records get its name? From “Plan 9 From Outer Space,” frequently cited as the worst movie ever made.
- What was the address of Plan 9’s first location? 2905 W. Cary Street, today the left side of Citizen Burger Bar.
- What infamous Richmond city councilman endorsed Plan 9 in a TV advertisement? H.W. (Chuck) Richardson, who would subsequently be arrested for heroin distribution while serving on City Council.
- What legendary Richmond band was fronted by long-time Plan 9 employee Bob Schick? The mighty post-punk band Honor Role, Richmond’s analogue to Fugazi, the Minutemen and Husker Du.
- What radio station had Plan 9 as its landlord? Channel 36 / Color Radio, the radio station that “broadcast” on the last channel of Richmond’s brand new cable TV system starting in 1982; their motto was “Better radio through television.”
Also on this week’s program: new music by Bombino, who’ll perform in DC on July 12; Sudan’s irresistible dance music; and some Afro-funk deep cuts.
All the podcasts: http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/series/Global+A+Go-Go
Bill Lupoletti 96 July 11th, 2018
Posted In: Music Shows